[Dailydrool] Losing Back Leg Control - What do I do?

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Wed Jul 27 09:15:56 PDT 2011

If you haven't heard by now, most likely this isn't an immediate/emergency trip to the vet, but you should try to get there as soon as you can ... I wouldn't wait three or four days.. I'd call now, see if they can squeeze him in ... etc..

Could it be something simple? yes... given the age however, it could be the sign that shows you may have missed more subtle signs before ... if your vetman doesn't already have XRays to compare, then you're not prepared to know the condition of his back, and how long it may have been building.

But yes, definitely get him to the vet, XRays generally add 50 to 100 to a bill ... having them to compare to a future visit can be priceless ... even at 13 ... with good care and no other major issues, he could find another 3 years of better life knowing what his back looks like.

Your vetman will probably prescribe a short duration of prednisone, and then will probably want to do bloodwork and put him on a sustaining dose of Rimadyl.

As a side note, prednisone 2.5mg thru 20mg is on walmart's 4 dollar medicine list, and Rimadyl is less than 1.00/chew tab online, or Generic Carprofen for 60 cents or so (58.4 cents per pill in 60 ct) pills which are a little more difficult to feed than the chewables, but the cost savings is easily worth it if you've got a hound that doesn't fight you on pills...

-Robert