[Dailydrool] Communicating with bassets. Well, just with Vern, actually.

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 19:42:44 PDT 2011

Can someone help me figure out how to explain to Vernon Q Basset that while
he fits through the cat door, sort of, I do not? And that even if I did, I
would prefer that we both go out the big people door when he is on his
leash?

Sigh.

About grieving -- Paddi certainly grieved the loss of Billy B Basset. When
he was very ill, she spent hours cuddling up to him on the floor and lying
quietly beside him, and she was very sad after we came home from the vet
without him. Opus missed him too, I think (Opus the cat) -- he and Billy
never could admit they were friends, but they did like to lie back-to-back
in front of the fireplace.

When one of our cats was killed by a car (having escaped our fenced city
yard), our dear Opus was tremendously upset. We laid Aya out on the back
step and all three other cats came and sniffed her body. When Opus was doing
this, the hair stood up all over his back and head. He was devastated. In
fact in the weeks that came he ripped all the fur out of his back legs
(really! leaving bald patches!) and our vet asked if he'd had a shock. He
recovered after a while, but he was really sad. He'd been a bit of an old
grump when Aya  arrived -- she was a real h***raiser and absolutely insisted
that he play. They used to chase each other from attic to basement in our
old house. He was truly bereft when she passed.

So sorry to hear of the losses of people and hounds. Thinking of you all.

Mary
and Paddi B Basset
and Vernon Q Basset
and Billy B Basset, ATB with Opus and Ayah