[Dailydrool] Overwhelming response to my post on the dog chained next door

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 21:07:01 PDT 2011

Thank you, Droolers. I have received more than two dozen responses to my post in
the most recent Drool about wondering what would be the best course of action to
follow to help the pitbull I discovered chained next door, not looking so great.

Yesterday I untangled the dog's lead from the machinery he was tangled
with, gave the dog food and water (new bowls), cleaned up his area, and gave him
a quilt to sleep on in his shed. I also left a note on the owner's door letting
him know that I had done this and hoped he didn't mind. I identified myself as
the lady next door with the bassets and kept the note friendly. Noone came over
to see me after the two guys that live there came home. But the note disappeared
off the door and today when I went over to check on the dog with more food and
water, the dog had food in a bowl. I gave him a little more and filled his water
dish. Interestingly, this afternoon someone (a woman I have never seen
before) came over to the house and removed about half of the junk in the front
yard and hosed down the driveway and area the dog was living in. I have still
not talked in person to the owners. At this point I think the biggest concern
may be the dog's skin condition (which could be mange or a staph infection or
goodness knows what else--didn't look like fighting wounds to me, though pit
fighting is a big problem here). The dog didn't look quite so skinny to me today
(my imagination yesterday?)

About half of the Droolers who wrote me suggested I involve the Humane Society;
the other half suggested I proceed slowly trying to win over the owners to
provide better treatment. I think I will talk to the folks at the Humane Society
about the situation without naming any names or addresses--and see what they
have to say. If the Humane Society were to take the dog, they would put him down
because of his medical needs, which our Humane Society does not cover, plus we
have an excess of pitbulls here and most do not get adopted. My husband is
vehemently against involving the HHS if there are any alternatives. I also plan
to talk to my vet about what the skin problem could be. My DH, and a few
Droolers, have convinced me that adding this dog to our pack would not be the
smartest move I could make; though if I end up with him I know of a Pitbull
Rescue on Oahu, and could fly him over there (I have flown a few rescue bassets
to Oahu to their new homes),

So this is what is up today. I can't tell you all enough how grateful I am to
have you as a sounding board. Val