[Dailydrool] BBR's Ethel - Currently in surgery - Donations appreciated

Jody Grack grackj at rjfagencies.com
Fri Jun 17 14:20:25 PDT 2011

Hi everyone.  It's been a long 24 hours.  I came home last night and my
foster Ethel wasn't excited to see me, didn't want to drink and was
moving so slowly.  I scooped her up and off to the emergency vet.  They
took an x-ray and found that Ethel had eaten something that isn't part
of the 5 food groups.  They think that they can remove it with a scope
and at 11pm we are off to another Emergency clinic.

There the vet says, "we may have a problem, there is fluid in her belly
and this could be serious".  Hours and tests later we find out that the
vet found bacteria and blood in her belly.  She said Ethel will need
surgery and if we did it there it would be $3-$4k just for the surgery.
The vet said that she would have to do some additional tests and give
Ethel fluids so surgery wouldn't happen till mid morning.  So I said
we'll explore our options at our regular vet in the morning.  Ethel was
put on fluids and antibiotics and as soon as my regular vet opened up we
moved Ethel to yes her third vet in less than 12 hours. I talked to the
my vet people and it didn't sound good based on what I was telling them
from the prior vet.  We decided to get some blood work get new x-rays
and check the fluid in her belly. If we don't get good results hard
decisions would need to be made. Sepsis is so very serious.

The new results, no sign of the blood and bacteria and her blood numbers
look normal.  Thank goodness, so the surgery is on.  She went into
surgery around 3:45 Minnesota time.  (Sorry I am a bit tired).

Like most rescues, BBR doesn't have money growing on trees.  Any
donations you could spare would be so greatly appreciated.  Let me tell
you a bit about our foster Ethel.

Ethel is a petite hound at 30 lbs.  She loves humans and sleeping and
exploring the dog park.  Ethel loves to lay by her human, ride with her
human and snoring.  That girl knows how to get her z's.  She is known to
enjoy early morning potty breaks and long drinks at the watering bowl.
Ethel came to BBR almost 3 years ago.  She was a stray, but was
obviously loved by prior owners.  She had many manners and other than
being a bit pushy with demanding attention is a pretty perfect hound.
Ethel is a senior hound, but don't let her hear you say it.  Ethel loves
to lay on her back for belly rubs and to sleep..which is probably where
the snoring comes in.

If you would help us out with a donation, BBR is using paypal as well as
checks.  If you decide to donate please send me your mailing address.
I'd love to send you a thank you from Ethel.

Paypay website at: https://www.paypal.com/ and send the email donation
info at bbrescue.org and put Drooling for Ethel in your message.
Mailing address:  BBR Inc PO BOX 13562 Milwaukee, WI 53213-0562.  Put
Drool for Ethel in the memo line.
If you want to help with any fundraising or have any ideas feel free to
email those ideas to grackj at hotmail.com

Thanks for reading, thanks for the drool.

Ethel's very anxious and sleep deprived foster Mom

Jody & the MN Basset Brigade Maddie, Reo, Lexi, foster Delta, foster
Ethel, mini doxi Georgie.