[Dailydrool] Next Shelter Challenge

Marie28443 at aol.com Marie28443 at aol.com
Wed Jun 22 22:18:34 PDT 2011

I know there has been a lot of discussion about  which rescue group to vote
for in the next Shelter Challenge.  My  suggestion is Senior Houndsabound.
While there are a number of worthwhile  rescue groups we could vote for,
there are only a very few rescue groups  dedicated to seniors.  Most rescue
groups are overloaded right now and in  reality, it's difficult for them to
tie up a foster home with what will probably  be an unadoptable hound because
of the dog's age and potential health  problems.

Senior Houndsabound is in Florida where too many Bassets have  been
abandoned by people who lost their homes to foreclosure or surrendered  because of
lost jobs.  Several friends have attended Senior Houndsabound  events and
have told me about the marvelous hounds and people in the  group.

I have a special place in my heart for seniors.  When we  lived in Florida,
right after Hurricane Charley tore up the state, another  rescue group
found Magnolia in the Miami-Dade Shelter.  She was severely  underweight, old,
supposedly blind and the shelter was ready to sent her To The  Bridge.  After
the rescue group pulled her, we decided to foster Magnolia  when we heard
that she was given two weeks to live by the vet.  At that  point, we adopted
Magnolia because I wanted her to go to the Angels from a real  family, not
an orphan.  Magnolia rallied and the old Droolers will probably  remember
hearing about her.  She gained weight, had limited vision and was  full of
personality.  Magnolia proved how stubborn a Basset can be - she  lived a year
and a half and was a treasure to have in our home.

I know a  lot of Droolers have now or have had Bassets that achieved senior
status and I  truly hope they will think of the marvelous Bassets that
Wendi and Senior  Houndsabound are providing a home for.

I hope Senior Houndsabound  is considered as the group we agree to vote on
in the next Shelter  Challenge.

Marie
Scarlet and Megan Mariah