[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Thursday Night

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Jun 23 18:47:18 PDT 2011

Not a particularly good day here . not bad . just no progress.  They are in
the process of lightening Pat's sedations (propofol is now down to 30
mcg/kg/min).  She is opening her eyes occasionally but not responding to
commands.  Her hemoglobin is still low (8.6) despite two transfusions
yesterday but no evidence of internal bleeding, no evidence of DIC, so they
think it is a function of dilution from all the IV's.  Her heart rate and
respiration skyrocket when they suction her and/or reposition her, so they
have added Lopressor to help regulate that.  She is receiving morphine as
needed to help her be comfortable as the sedation is reduced.  At this
point, she is only having it every 3 - 4 hours, although the orders allow
much more if needed.
Emergency Guardianship petition will be filed in court tomorrow.  I will
then be able to legally try to adhere to Pat's wishes.
Thanks for all of the emails, prayers and drool.  I appreciate your support.
As Pat always says, "that which does not kill you will make you stronger".
I ought to be SUPERWOMAN very soon!
Sandi & all the Red Bay Bassets