[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Wednesday Night

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Wed Jun 29 20:03:56 PDT 2011

Pat is resting fairly comfortably today . they are giving her 4.5 mg
morphine every 4 hours and 1 mg ativan every 4 hours.  They did have to give
her a "break through" dose a morphine because they felt she was working too
hard at breathing when her respiration reached 25.   She has a lot of random
neurological movements but her overall agitation has decreased.   The nurse
just told me that tonight she smiled at Earl, a nurse's aide that has spent
a lot of time today.
Since I am officially custodial now, I went and made final arrangements for
her according to her wishes.  That was really hard to do.
The dogs are settling in a little bit but every time I return from seeing
Pat they are restless for a while.  I am not sure that it is good for the
dogs to go see her as it seems to upset them and add to their unrest.  It
also seems to upset Pat and increase her agitation which then makes her
breathing more labored and causes coughing.   The puppies got some playtime
with Norm. Stachie and Grady (individually) today and the twin
granddaughters came over this evening to love on bassets for a while when DH
and I went to Wednesday Night Bible Class at church.
Opie is feeling a bit better.  Today he started the first of 6 cold laser
therapeutic treatments.  Of course, the tramadol, Robaxin and prednisone
also are a big help too.  Also took Quincey and Quizmo in for a follow-up
visit today for a complete blood panel, clotting time and their last puppy
shots, so they have had a busy day.  It looks like Friday will be bath day
for 12 doggies and not a moment too soon . the 10 adults are shedding like
crazy and everyone needs groomed.  It will be Quincey's and Quizmo's first
bath . that is always entertaining.

Sandi & the Red Bay Bassets
   One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
   but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
   Proverbs 18:24