[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Thursday Evening

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Thu Jun 30 16:35:12 PDT 2011

Pat is comfortable and peaceful.  They have increased her morphine to 7.5
mg/4 hours and ativan to 2 mg/4 hours.  These increases are because her
respiration was too fast and labored, so  she was working too hard to
breath.  I was there for a couple of hours this afternoon and she opened her
eyes briefly when she heard my voice.  Overall, her awareness is lessened
and she is sleeping more.  Just before I left, we noticed her feet were cold
and tonight her hands are cold.  This is one of the signs of decline.  I
don't expect her to make it through the weekend.
I decided not to take any of the bassets to see her.  I think it is
upsetting to them and they already understand that she isn't coming home.  I
have to think about their emotional well being first and I don't think she
is aware enough to have any benefit from a visit, in fact it seemed to upset
her the last time.
Opie is doing better today . he had another cold laser treatment, with
treatment #3 scheduled for Saturday, the Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday of
next week.  Quincey and Quizmo both got completely normal results on all of
their blood work and exams from yesterday.  There is no evidence of any
damage from the hyperthermia of May 31st.  Right now they are outside
playing and awaiting the arrival of their evening firefly hunting
expedition.
I am doing okay but I know the next week will be very hard.  She does not
want a funeral, just a private interment and a "party" to celebrate her life
and remember her. I still haven't made any decisions about memorial event(s)
. just don't know . one will likely be at a dog show (maybe Canfield) but
have no clue for a local memorial, if any.   Memorial contributions will be
to Michigan Basset Rescue.

Sandi & the Red Bay Bassets
   One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin,
   but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
   Proverbs 18:24