[Dailydrool] Food Question

Susan Hurt toodlessm at me.com
Mon Jun 6 21:02:16 PDT 2011

I am confused about dog food.  When I was (relatively) young and obtained my first sweet basset puppy, I asked our vet what I should feed her.  Answer:  Eukanuba, Purina 1, or Iams.  Now since reading the Drool I have changed my ideas.

Question:  why do vets recommend substandard foods (according to a well known dog food rating system) even when they have superior products available for sale in their own clinics?  My guess has been that vets are used to clients primarily interested in saving money and convenience.  Any other thoughts?  I am a bit frustrated/resentful, because I would have had my bassets on higher quality food had I known better.

Susan Hurt
toodlessm at me.com