[Dailydrool] Naughty Bassets

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Wed Jun 8 08:12:20 PDT 2011

It's been my experience that a tired basset is a well-behaved basset.
My young Charlie is much less likely to be naughty after a long walk
or some time spent at doggie day care.

It's also been my experience that a basset who believes he's
suffering from a lack of attention will quickly figure out that being
naughty is a great way to ensure a human's attention is completely
focused on him. For most of us, negative attention is better than no
attention at all, and a basset's no different.

To use young Charlie as an example again, he was given up by his
first home when he was not quite a year old because he was so
destructive. He was destructive because he was spending most of his
time shut up in his crate while they were at work, and when they were
home he wasn't being played with or walked because his family was
busy with dinner, sports, and getting homework done. His clever
solution? Jump up on the bed and pee on the brand-new Ralph Lauren
comforter. That sure got their attention, all right!

He's continued this effective method of getting attention on the few
times he's stayed with our friend Jennifer while we're out of town.
There's one of her to around five dogs, so Charlie ends up feeling
neglected because he's not getting the amount of attention he's used
to at home. To remedy this, he pees on the floor and then sits beside
it to claim the mess as his, making sure the scolding/attention will
land on him and not one of the other dogs who might happen to walk by
at the wrong moment.

In our home, Charlie will break out the toilet paper rolls or laundry
when he's feeling ignored and neglected. He's also not above removing
magazines or paperbacks from the coffee table, running past us with
them so we can see he has them, and then inviting us to play chase
with him. He does all this with a merry twinkle in his eye--he has
our full attention and we're interacting with him at last, hooray!

When Charlie starts doing naughty things, it's a reminder to me that
I've not been interacting with him as much as he needs. It's a wake-
up call to get him out on a walk or to spend some time chasing him
(for fun, not for contraband in his mouth) or brushing him or simply
rocking him on my lap until he goes to sleep.

It used to be that I had to keep young Charlie with me in whatever
room I was going to be in because I couldn't trust him not to act
like a buppy. It was a bit of a pain, but at the same time, I think
that keeping him that close helped make our relationship close. He
now usually chooses to be in whatever room I'm in, and he's become an
excellent companion. A companion who, I have to remember, needs to be
worn out periodically so he'll be too tired for naughtiness.

Elizabeth