[Dailydrool] Pat Update - Wednesday Evening

Sandi Wittenberg sandi at redbaybassets.com
Wed Jun 22 15:26:47 PDT 2011

Today Pat had surgery to do a tracheotomy.  The surgery took about 45
minutes and she was returned directly to her room.  At this point she is
stable and still completely on the ventilator, heavily sedated.  Her vital
signs were good before and after the surgery, but she is still on full life
support.  She started having some difficulty tolerating the higher levels of
nutrition yesterday, so they had to back those levels down to 30 (goal of
55).  She also had one blood transfusion prior to surgery (her hemoglobin
level was 8.6) and when I left an hour ago, they were waiting for a second
unit of blood to come up from the blood bank.  They will be testing for GI
bleeding and other sources of internal bleeding.  This evening they will
keep her fully sedated to allow her body to rest after the surgery and flush
the anesthesia from her system (they used fentanol, versed, and gas - I
think isoflourane during surgery).  I am in process for seeking Emergency
Guardianship for her . have to meet with the doctor again in the morning to
get the form completed and then take it to the lawyer across town.
I didn't sleep much last night . dread kind of inhibits sleep.
Also, on a side note, a little bit of drool would be appreciated for my 8
year old grandson, Caleb, who fell last evening at my house while playing
with the dogs and broke his arm.  He will be seeing a pediatric orthopod
tomorrow for a distal ulna fracture of/near the growth plate (the growth
plate is displaced slightly).  He is really upset that he probably won't be
able to play on his baseball team or swim on the swim team this summer.  He
would love to get "basset" get well cards:  Caleb Wittenberg, 7843
Kensington, Lambertville MI 48144.
Sandi Wittenberg
Red Bay Bassets