[Dailydrool] door dashing

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:39:52 PDT 2011

Patricia McConnell ( who I have met and who is a wonderful person) has a lot
more time to train than I do. I had a Belgian who will be unnamed who was a
door dasher as a young man. He lived with Bassets. (Still does.)
We live on a busy street, and near other busier streets
One day I borrowed a harness and let the dog wear it for a couple of days.
Then I clipped a tracking lead onto it, which is about 36 feet long. I put a
knot at 10 feet.
I opened the door.
The door dasher dashed out for ten feet, hit the end of the line and ended
up laying on his side in the grass.
We did it one more time.
This time as he started to dash I yelled "WAIT!"
We did it one more time. He started to dash and I yelled WAIT and
he........stopped.
He has never, ever ever gone through an open door of any kind again without
permission.

I am not sure how this would work for a Basset since they are a lot more
stubborn. Maybe it would take ten times, or twenty.
My Bassets all know the command WAIT.

It does not mean they pay any attention to it, it just means they know the
command.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper, who waits.