[Dailydrool] cats and dogs

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 3 10:42:07 PST 2011

When we had Bassets and had cats too, the cats and dogs did fine in the
house. No chasing, very little interaction, actually. BUT outside was
different matter-- if the cat ran, it was fair game, whatever connotation
you put on the term "game". Whether they were chasing to play or kill I
never knew because I never let it get that far-- the cat was clearly
terrified. When the cat went outside to play, the dogs came in. Only fair.
(This was not Beemr, my little kitty who was such an inside cat-- I do not
think she had been outside ever in her life-- that she was terrified of
grass. Now and then she would sneak outside with the dogs and then panic,
and wail at the door to come right back in.)
We had one cat who, at an advanced age, was caught out laying in the sun by
a neighbor dog.I was not home. When I got home the front door and the front
gates were liberally smeared with blood and I could not find Ambulance (the
cat) anywhere. I looked and looked and could not find him, but after about
15 minutes the dog, an Elkhound mix named Thor, appeared at my door (he
often came down to see if I could play) with his nose pretty well shredded
into ribbons. I took him home and when I came back Ambulance was sitting at
the door unharmed, cleaning his claws......LOL.