[Dailydrool] cats and dogs

Georgia Powers georgiapowers at comcast.net
Thu Mar 3 17:02:25 PST 2011

We actually adopted Eugene from a shelter because our first rescue attempt after the death of our poodle was an adorable jack russell mix who definitely looked at our cat as either a meal or some form of vermin that needed to be exterminated!!!  After a few stressful days deciding that our cat did not deserve to live in fear in what was HIS home, we reluctantly returned him ( he was quickly adopted) and turned instead to the 6 month old basset in the adjoining cage. While I had my reservations about taking a larger dog (my experience had always been with miniature breeds)as well as one who shed so much, I was impressed that in most basset descriptions they mentioned how well they got along with other animals. Eugene lived up to that reputation and he and Drambuie ( the cat) truly seem to enjoy each other. I was a little worried at first given that Eugene could easily injure Drambuie if he wanted to, but I quickly realized Drambuie didn't fear him at all. He often grooms Eugene and chases him when Eugene is doing the basset 500. A picture of them sleeping together with Eugene's large front paw draped over Drambuie's back actually won first place in our vet's "Friends" photo contest. So even though Eugene has tried my patience in so many ways with his bassetude, I am always touched by his love for his feline brother--as well as any other animal he encounters.   Georgia and Eugene( I love all the creatures)