[Dailydrool] Our Elsinore and young Charlie went to Arkansas

Elizabeth Lindsey erlindsey at comcast.net
Sun Mar 6 10:05:20 PST 2011

Many thanks to everyone who e-mailed me advice on over-the-counter
medications and dosages to use to treat young Charlie's bumbly bowels
problem!

On our way out of town I stopped at a drugstore to pick up some
Immodium-AD, and right there in the parking lot I squirted what I
could down Charlie's throat. He was extremely unhappy with me about
this and sulked for miles afterwards. I'm pleased to report that
during our first morning walk at my in-laws' house last Tuesday it
became clear that young Charlie was no longer feeling troubled by
soupy poops. He's been producing lovely firm poops ever since.

I was greatly relieved that the Immodium did the trick because my in-
laws have very pale blue wall-to-wall carpeting, and the whole indoor-
family-member dog culture that I embrace is quite foreign to them.
Their two dogs live outside all year round (they have an Igloo dog
house), and the human interaction they receive is minimal. I was
saddened to see that their new little dog would love to be someone's
lap dog. She snuggled right up every time I was out with her, almost
purring with happiness in my arms on my lap. But sitting down and
patting or cuddling a dog just isn't something my in-laws feel any
desire to do.

Why do they have dogs? To sound an alarm if someone should venture
down their quarter-of-a-mile-long gravel driveway and to provide
guard dog services when my father-in-law is out working in his garden
near the dirt road to their driveway. The dogs also accompany him on
his three-mile morning walks. It's a country-dog culture, where dogs
are owned more for utilitarian reasons than to be someone's close
companion indoors as well as out.

When it comes to the subject of dogs, I do an awful lot of tongue
biting whenever I'm there. I suspect my in-laws feel the same about
me and my dogs. Neither of us really understand the dog-ownership
beliefs of the other, but we try to be accepting and not say anything
that would cause hard feelings. After all, we all have to live with
each other for years to come.

It was a real stretch for them to extend their invitation to our
Elsinore and young Charlie, who, fortunately, behaved very, very
well. Except for the afternoon young Charlie took off after my mother-
in-law's guinea hens and chickens. No one was hurt, thank goodness,
and my mother-in-law was gracious about forgiving him (and me) for
such indiscretion. And it was a one-time indiscretion. I made sure of
that. To catch and kill one of their chickens is the ultimate sin
that earns a dog eternal banishment. My in-laws have adopted and then
returned I don't know how many dogs to the county pound because the
dog killed a chicken.

Perhaps sensing that my life was in need of more stress after
Charlie's bumbly bowels cleared up, Elsinore sustained an athletic
injury the first day we were there. I'm calling it an athletic injury
because that sounds so much more impressive than a sprain. Especially
if the way she hurt herself is described as being a fall that
happened while she was doing cross-country training in my in-laws'
pasture. Actually, I'm not really sure how it happened. She was
galloping along just fine one minute. I looked away for a mere
second, and when I looked back again, she was limping. My guess is
that she hit an uneven bit of ground the wrong way. Lately she's been
stumbling now and then on walks, even when we're on a sidewalk. We'll
be walking along, and I'll see a shoulder suddenly dip as she
stumbles and then rights herself. So it makes sense that she'd do the
same in a pasture.

We immediately headed back to the house, where Elsinore rested for an
hour. When she got up again, though, she was reluctant to put any
weight on her front left leg, and we could all see swelling in her
shoulder. My first thought was that she'd dislocated it. So I loaded
Elsinore and my mother-in-law (who came along to navigate) into the
car and drove into town to the vet my in-laws take their dogs to. Our
very long wait to be seen was made more interesting by the arrival of
a former lieutenant governor (and then governor) of the state and his
wife (with a chihuahua), both of whom my mother-in-law knows from
when she and the former lieutenant governor taught at the same
university. Perhaps if we'd had to wait even longer a former
president might have walked in......

I was a bit concerned about taking Elsinore to a rural vet, making
the assumption that anyone who deals with owners who think of their
dogs as being pretty much like farm equipment probably isn't going to
provide the level of care I expect my hounds to get. After all,
that's what I experienced with our late Jane Basset when we lived in
an Indiana farming community. But I was happy with the vet who saw
Elsinore. By the time we got into the examining room, Elsinore was
barely limping and the swelling was gone. Isn't that how it always
goes? But the vet still went over her very carefully, feeling for
broken bones, checking between her pads, and gently bending and
flexing every joint. He decided it was a sprain and prescribed five
days of an anti-inflammatory. Elsinore is pretty much back to rights
now, though that leg still seems to be a bit sore because she
grumbles when I move it the wrong way when I'm toweling her dry after
she comes in from the rain.

On our way home, we stopped to visit with Menzie and her bassets, so
now I have faces to put to all the names I've read about in her Drool
posts. That Pippa the Long-Haired Basset is the most comical looking
basset I've ever seen, with drowsy eyes that don't miss a thing,
enormous fluffy paws that beg to be fondled, and a head of hair that
stands straight up in a huge soft Afro-like cloud. She's adorably
goofy and terribly sweet--and destined to be much caressed throughout
her life because her unusual coat and appearance pull one in and
demand that one experience her through touch and not just by sight
alone.

I'd thought Ken and I had done well with our redesigned back entry
that features room for two crates, an in-wall doggie door with a
protective exterior dog house entrance, and an easy-to-clean vinyl
tile floor, but Menzie and Noel have designed an entire house that's
wonderfully basset-centric. I was mortified when young Charlie
decided to see if the beautiful stained concrete floor really is as
easy to mop pee off of as it looks. An entire bladder full. With a
perfectly functional doggie door he knew about not ten feet away.
That's what I get for driving around with a bumper sticker that
proclaims "My Dog Behaves Better Than Your Kid." Thanks, Menzie, for
inviting us to drop by, and I'll understand if next time you ask
young Charlie to just stay out in the car. Heck, I may even beat you
to it!

Elizabeth