[Dailydrool] AVMA and complaints

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 07:55:11 PST 2011

Before you try complaining to the AVMA about a Vet who does not write
scripts (and I agree this is wrong on the part of the Vet) you should know
that I do not believe the AVMA is a policing body and usually will not get
involved.  I may be incorrect, but I think that membership in the AVMA is,
in fact, voluntary. You may be a Veterinarian without belonging, altho it is
greatly to your advantage professionally to join.
They are a Governing body, not a police unit. This is my *understanding*.
If you want to file a complaint you go to your State Licensing Board.
However, I doubt that they are going to do much to a Vet who chooses to
charge you for a prescription. It is, after all, his perogative to decide
what things cost in his own business.
He can do it for free, as does mine, or charge you. If he is required by
state law to write them for you then he can probably charge you.
My Vet  matches the prices for Heartgard and whatever the others are (sorry
my brain is leaking today) with internet prices and catalog prices if you
bring them in and show him.

MomPerson to Nigel, Llewis, Conley and Cooper