[Dailydrool] wheelcarts

Angelika Hastings angelikabrn at hotmail.com
Sun Mar 20 10:34:06 PDT 2011

I have Elvis- a 12 1/2 year old sweetie who lost the use of his backlegs almost 3 years ago. He has wheels and they work very well for him. The downside to wheels is that they can't lie down in them. But they offer him the ability to go just like any other basset on four legs. I would suggest www.eddieswheels.com  Elvis is currently using hand-me down wheels that badly need replacing and when I can, that is where I will buy them. I know of other bassets that have gotten their wheels from them and folks as well as the hounds were very satisfied.
All that being said, the fact that your girl has bowel and bladder control ( Elvis does not) and she can wag her tail~ are very positive signs. Give it some time and I think she'll be up and walking again. In the meantime keep pain meds as low as possible- pain is a good thing sometimes, keeps them from overdoing it. Of course if she is not able to rest comfortably offer meds.
If you know what caused the injury you can try to prevent it from happening again. Once she is able- do not allow her to jump on or off anything. Do not allow her to use stairs.
sending lots of healing drool to your girl, Angelika