[Dailydrool] How to get the lard butts up on things

A. Woodrum awoodrum at clear.net
Tue Mar 22 18:59:09 PDT 2011

Well, I could write at least a chapter on this subject, let me tell you.
First let me say this about getting him up on sofas and such - ARE YOU CRAZY
WOMAN???  Let him lie on the floor by your feet, he'll survive.  If you
could see how Sister Anna has totally slimed the sofa in the den until it is
permanently stained, you would think twice about letting a drooler up there.
Hanni Klinger very graciously sent me a really nice set of stairs that
Chiliepepper used to use so the girls could get up and down.  Put them
together, they came with a really nice cloth cover, put it on, now let's
move them next to the living room sofa.  Did that.  Dogs looked at them and
moved to the other end of the room and will not get near the stairs.  Would
you like them?  Hanni said to pass them on when we were done with them, and
we sure aren't using them.

The BUV (the car or SUV to normal people) -Sister Gracie and Sister Anna are
60+ pound lard butts, and I have to lift them up into the BUV and also down.
Sister Holly weighs 40 pounds and after lifting the lard butts, she is like
lifting a feather.  Anyway, I thought, let's get a ramp, lots of other
people have them and say they work great.  Did a lot of research and got a
great ramp that folds so you can take it with you.  Had it laying flat in
the house for a week or two, trying to acclimate the girls to it.  Followed
the directions about using treats and making them walk on the flat ramp to
get the treats.  They figured out how to get the treats without touching the
ramp.  Kept trying, eventually Anna put half a paw on the ramp and snagged
the treats, that girl will do anything for food.  Okay, forget acclimating
in the house, let's take it out to the BUV and try it.  Wish I'd had a movie
camera trained on the driveway.  Three dogs look at the ramp leading up into
the BUV, then BOOM, three dogs running in three different directions.  Do
you need a ramp?  I have a very expensive one that has never been used.

My last thought on this subject -- have you ever heard of counter cruising?
Great big Bassets that are not agile enough to get on the furniture are
rarely agile enough to counter cruise.  Be careful what you wish for.

Anita Woodrum

awoodrum at clear.net