[Dailydrool] help for the itchies

Jennifer Martin JMartin at wellscolibrary.org
Mon Mar 28 11:49:23 PDT 2011

Unfortunately, help with the itchies is something we are very good at.  All my past and current bassets have had allergies.  Depending on how bad the problem is, you have lots of options.  You can always do testing and allergy shots if the problem is bad enough.  This really does help tremendously.  You can give steroids during really bad times if the bad times aren't very often.  Just remember that steroids are very bad for the kidneys and liver over the long haul.  You can try different antihistamines.  Benadryl doesn't work for eveery dog, but it is the cheapest.  Hydroxazine is very effective, but it is a prescription and costs more.  You can also wash the dog more often (like every week or two) and wipe them off with baby wipes when they come in from outside.  I keep baby wipes (generic sensitive skin with aloe vera from Wal-mart) by the back door and everyone gets wiped down when they come in during pollen season.  Believe it or not this helps a lot.  I have also heard that dressing the hounds in clothes and putting shoes would help, but there is NO WAY Bugsey would put up with this and Beauford only wears clothes when he thinks he might freeze his cute little kiester off.  They still get bathed every other week with a special shampoo.  For the rrecord, I do not use oatmeal shampoo.  I have had at least one dog allergic to oatmeal for over 10 years.  They end up looking like they have a sun burn with blisters if I use oatmeal.  If any of you have any other questions, please feel free to e-mail me off list.

Jennifer, mom slave to Beauford and Bugsey