[Dailydrool] Clueless momPerson

Dale Rutz dalerutz at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 29 13:00:54 PDT 2011

Hello,

Yes, it's me again, the clueless momPerson.  I have a few questions I'd like to
ask and see if anyone has some ideas.

First off I'm Snoopy sitting tomorrow.  Seriously, Cyrus needs his teeth cleaned
and we've been putting it off for a couple of months because HE is my Snoopy
sitter.  Snoopy does NOT like to be alone, he crys and complains and we really
don't like that.  So, tomorrow I am going to stay at home so my Lab can get his
teeth cleaned and my basset doesn't have to cry (and do G-d knows what else) all
day.  Of course he will cry anyway because he crys if he cannot find Cyrus for
ONE SECOND, but at least I will be there to comfort him.  Part of the issue here
is that we don't crate and we don't lock the dogs out and I'm afraid that Snoopy
might get into some mischief if he were unhappy for a long period .... which
leads me to my second point ....

Second is Snoopy mischief.  I've already mentioned that the little dickens makes
off with stuff.  Generally speaking if you can find it you can get it back
(trade, plead, whatever).  Unless, it's my running stuff.  THAT, and only that,
he chews up.  Especially the bottles that snap into my fuel belt.  Now I don't
want to be petty but those things cost about $10 EACH and he keeps getting
them!!  Why?  He never ever chews on anything else.  But the little son of a gun
will unzip my running bag and drag those out (empty and clean) and chew the tips
off.  HELP!!

Third, is his reaction to other dogs.  Last night when I walked the dogs Snoopy
was howling up a storm and I was apologizing to a neighbor who was out walking
his dog when the neighbor starting laughing hysterically and pointing at Snoopy
who was IN A PLAYBOW while howling at the VERY TOP of his lungs.  We *think*
this means he wants to play with the other dog.  We don't know how to tell him
the other dog (and handler) doesn't necesarily interpret the howl in that way.

Next, is a bit worrisome but I hope it's nothing. We notice that if Snoopy has
been asleep for a long time, or when he gets up from laying down and he is
really tired, he is "funny" about his right rear foot.  He hops a bit as he
doesn't seem to want to put it down.  Then, he sits and scratches with both hind
feet, one at a time.  Then, he takes a couple of steps and repeats.  After no
more than 2 to 3 minutes of this he is fine and walks completely normally.
 Also, during the day he is healthy and rambuctios.... charges around at the dog
park at high speed and while he impersonates a good dog on lead about 2/3 of the
time, the other 1/3 he can certainly pull like the dickens.  So, what do you
think?  I haven't prioritized it because it isn't changing and it only lasts a
couple of minutes.  It's almost like the leg asleep maybe, as he doesn't whine
about it at all or act like it hurts.   My vet isn't really an expert on
Bassets.  Should I be worried?

Please let me know your thoughts.
--Dale

Snoopy  http://www.dogster.com/dogs/1182550