[Dailydrool] liver enzymes

Beverly Szaton bgszap2 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 2 17:38:28 PST 2011

The enzymes that show up on canine bloodwork usually are
ALT: 8.2 to 57 normal
AST: 8.9 to 49 normal
ALKP: 10.6 to 101 normal
GGT: 1.0 to 9.7 normal
Serum Bilirubin: 0.1 to 0.6 normal
Any number of things can affect one or more of these levels. If the dog has
been on antibiotics or steroids, the levels will be different than if the
dog is not. This is one reason you have Veterinarian to tell you what the
numbers mean. I know what the norms are, and I have had times when the Boys
have come back with one or more off, and it has meant absolutely nothing
because there was something else going on at the same time-- a drug usually.

Yes, 900 is very very high if we are talking about ALKP. I would be alarmed
but if my dog had been on some drug, sick previously with something he was
being treated for, or had other bloodwork values that explained the level,
it ....still seems high to me. But I don't know. I don't get paid to know
this stuff.

If you are concerned that your dog is not getting the response from the Vet
that you expect, ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN. Call him or her up and say, " I don't
understand these liver values. They're high and I would appreciate if you
could explain them to me in context of the rest of the bloodwork."  You are
paying him to do this. I always look at the bloodwork. If something is High
and Doc is telling me everything is fine I say "Ok what's this?" and he says
well see this other one is down a little and because x=7 and the dog was
born under a full moon and had yogurt last night that's why this is low and
that's high.
Uhhhh ok.
It often doesn't mean a whole lot to me, but he has had to explain it and he
can.
All bloodwork must be looked at as a whole, and the current health, age and
drug regimen taken into consideration. What is high for one dog, may not be
for one who is fighting chronic liver failure.

MomPerson to Nigel (with crystals in his pee) Llewis, (whose bladder is not
where it should be,) Conley (perfect) and Cooper (perfecter.)