[Dailydrool] Naughty girls

dpmcquade at verizon.net dpmcquade at verizon.net
Mon Mar 7 07:10:25 PST 2011

Are basset girls naughty? To listen to my husband, you'd think our Jane was just perfect--she can do no wrong in his eyes.

When she was a puppy, I started calling her "Jane Burglar," because she stole so much. My husband morfed it into "Jane Burger," perhaps because he couldn't stand the idea that his baby girl was a thief. Though she doubtless stole a few burgers in her time, that pales in comparison to the various items we lost to her, including innumerable TV remotes (chewed into submission), cookbooks (submitted to a taste testing), anything leather (including shoes and various other items--I no longer buy anything leather).One memorable but unidentifiable item lodged in Jane's stomach and had to be scoped out of it. This item was scarfed up when she was eleven years old, so I think we can say that Jane has had a lifelong passion for trouble. Today, at thirteen, she gets into a bit less trouble but has yet to end her crime spree.

None of this counts the numerous cans of cat food she has grabbed and dashed off with, the socks that have passed through her alimentary system with out damaging anything internally, and the various other items that have passed through Jane's jaws, including the edge of the butler's table my carpenter brother lovingly made for my parents. I can only be thankful that nothing did Jane permanent harm. (The table shows her damage to this day, however.)

By comparison, our males have been much better behaved. Even the foster puppies. One youthful foster chewed on a few of my favorite mystery novels, but by and large, even these pupsters have caused less damage than one little girl.

I know there are impy males out there, but they have not passed through my doors. Or maybe it's just that the boys are my dogs, and I can't admit that they do any wrong!
Pam