[Dailydrool] Pet meds

R Groves dd-post at thegroves.net
Tue Mar 8 01:16:39 PST 2011

Almost nothing boils my blood faster than to have a VET refuse to write a
prescription for a med.  FURTHER infuriating is when said vet charges a fee
to write the prescription, to make the cost of filling the script outside
their practice more expensive and potentially cause the customer hardship

ie.. Walmart has 4 dollar meds.. it is not a requirement that the drug be
used for a human (yet) so if the VET Man was going to give  you pills for
something relatively cheap ... and you find its on the 4 dollar script list
at walmart.. but the vet man charges 10 to 20 dollars for.. that's a VERY
large markup factor they are charging the customer.

Lynne is getting a copy of this email directly... but **ANYONE** on the
drool should look to find out if their state has any rules or regulations
regarding conduct of Veterinarians, with regards to prescriptions. and there
is also the AVMA ... if your VET is a member of the AVMA ... you can file a
complaint against your vet with the AVMA for your vet's refusal to honor
your request for a prescription

I found THIS site:
http://mysite.verizon.net/~vze2r6qt/supplies/legal.htm
which has information regarding states and links to those states for more
information ... note some of the information may be outdated, and you might
still want to look to your own state's agencies.. AND even if its not
"required" its certainly something to tell the vet "I'm a good client, this
drug *is* easily available elsewhere at a lower cost, if you refuse to write
a script I will file a complaint with the AVMA, and with the state
Veterinary Licensing Boards." etc.. if you've known them a long time, its
again one of those things to tell them, I'll start looking for another vet.

AVMA

http://www.avma.org/issues/policy/ethics.asp

search for "prescription" .. its under III The Veterinarian-Client-Patient
Relationship, sub section C, Dispensing or prescribing a prescription
product ...

Lynne ... its possible you're in the Mooresville NC area ... if so, NC is
listed as having an opinion that vets should or are required to give written
prescriptions when asked.  It then again becomes an issue of making it clear
to the vet your grievance and that you will start pushing the issue up the
flagpole to flag the problem with your vet with the governing body.

Its not that you have to be nasty about it .. but explain the cost
difference when you know it.. and be prepared.. especially if its a common
occurrence for you to go get the med.. recurring UTI, general antibiotics,
etc... AND there are some regular mom-n-pop pharmacies, that charge low
prices for CASH buyers ... this was one of those things we found out for my
father ... when his meds were not going to be fully covered ... the nice
pharmacist at CVS referred us to a place down the street ... our savings on
the meds was more than half off each med, with one of them at about 90% less
when paying in cash than on the CVS price lists.

[/rant]

So .... look around, find out if your state requires / recommends / or not
and remind the vet you need the cost savings too ...  I wrote a nasty gram
to my old vet, telling them in plain english why I left them ... and of all
things for their sister (partner) office on the other side of town... one of
the reasons.. 7.50 to write prescriptions.  My christmas card to the vet
this year.. I thanked them again for being unlike their sister vet ....
their ability to squeeze urgent care in to the last 30 minutes of the work
day, their non-issue with scripts.. etc..

Last note.. Phycox isn't scripted .. but Interceptor is..

and surprise 1800petmeds is actually down in a "reasonable" range .. 89.99
(though you can still find it for 78.99 - Vetdepot.com)

There us to be *ONE* catch to interceptor's guarantee ... If your hound
comes down with Heartworm while on Interceptor .... if you are getting it
through your veterinarian, Novartis will reimburse the cost of treatment ...
if not getting it through the vet ... they won't.  This catch may still be
in effect ... I couldn't find current links on their websites to information
on this policy or even if they guarantee the product the same way any more.

-Robert

  _____

Subject: [Dailydrool] Pet meds

Hello fellow droolers. Just wondered if anyone knows of a place(s) that
might help with pet prescriptions? It may sound crazy but I didn't know if
there was such a place. My vet has gone up a whole lot as of the first of
the month on all the meds and no longer will write scripts for you to buy it
elsewhere like PetMeds or other places. You have to buy the stuff through
them or forget it. Charlie and Barney both need their Interceptor and
Charlie needs his Phycox and I'm having a lot of trouble finding a way to do
it so I wondered if there were places out there that helped. Again I know it
may sound strange but I know there's places that help humans with their
medicines so I didin't know if it was possible for animals too. Thanks.

Sending drool to all those in need.

Lynne, Mom slave to Charlie Brown and Barney