[Dailydrool] Pet meds

Karen sparks_red at att.net
Tue Mar 8 09:58:25 PST 2011

In my experience, in CA, a vet can set any policy he wishes which includes
charging for his time to write or approve meds purchased outside of the office.
My ""previous" vet  started charging clients $5 to write or approve any out of
the office RXs, which was 100% legal.   The office also had a $20 pharmacy fee
they charged on any in office med.  Which is not something that they were sharing
with clients.  I was told they charge the fee because they make very little profit on
 meds.   I found this out when I questioned how 3 pills could cost $27 yet
only $6 online.  (Tucker (ATB) was on a trial run of Baytril for his pneumonia.)
They also tried to charge the fee when I went back to get the rest of the meds
until I threw a red-headed hissy fit.  Our vet now charges nothing but that is
not the only reason we love him.

Unless there is a law in your state that is specifically against the vet doing this
there is really no legal recourse.   Of course you do have other options.  You can
choose to find another vet (let your vet know why) or you could get a second back-up
vet for the interceptor.  I would recommend asking the  receptionist if they charge
for approving or writing out of office RXs before you make the appt.

The cheapest price I could find for Phycox 120 soft chews is $48.99
for 120 soft chews ($44.99 if you are a member) at calvetsupply.com
No RX required.

Droolz,
Karen and The Dog House Gang with our Fabulous Freddie
Don't forget your Basset Pin Cushions
www.elderclarafabulousfreddie.com
Please Visit Freddie's Cancer Treatment Fundraiser Page:
http://www.firstgiving.com/fundraiser/FabulousFreddie/golden-gate-basset-rescue-inc