[Dailydrool] 4 dogs

Margaret Honnold machonnold at yahoo.com
Sun May 1 08:24:07 PDT 2011

Hello from soaking wet Illinois.

This week was the anniversary of the house fire and the loss of my precious Noah
and Hollyberry. I want to say "thank you forever and always" to my drool friends
for the love and support you have shown us. You made a terrible experience more
bearable, I will remember and pass it forward.

Would like to update you all on the Basset family at our house 1 year later. We
have 4.  Yes, 4. I am learning about a multi-dog household and, well, it is a
challenge and a joy.

Thelma Lou came first last September. She is a beautiful red and white lady
who came from GABR and was fostered by Jan M. until I could establish a home for
her. TL is my heart dog. She recognized my grieving and spent many nights curled
up against my stomach tolerating her head and ears being wet with my tears. She
helped me to heal by singing to me, following me from room to room, waking me up
to go out in the middle of the night and being the silent and constant companion
she knew I needed. She is the Queen and expects to be treated as the Queen.

Next came Huckleberry at Christmas. He is a tri-colored guy with hundreds of
spots and was from a local rescue. Related to Hollyberry (we think) from the
same breeder born on the same date. He is my soul dog. He looks at me and we
connect. He kisses me every time he sees me and sleeps plastered against me
wherever he can find a place that TL hasn't taken. He follows me from room to
room, drinks from the toilet like a champ, loves to play and is a typical
midwestern good 'ol boy.

In February we got puppy Fergus from Ozark Mountain Basset Rescue. Fergus is my
joy. He is all puppy, full of energy, bites and jumps, pees on everything
and tries very hard to take the alpha spot. Electrical cords and shoes are his
speciality. He is half Basset and half traveling salesman, whom we suspect might
have been blood hound. His coloring is all black with brown highlights, he is
soft as down and handsome. Right now we are going to puppy class on Monday
nights and he is extremely bright. We are doing some agility....it is a hoot.
I am a lot of things but agile is not one of them and we have supplied lots of
laughter to the group as we both do the jump. Fergus sleeps in his crate
positioned next to my side of the bed where he can be part of everything that
goes on.  This week he has learned to use the step to get on the big bed and is
making TL and Huck's life exciting as that was their "safe place" to get away
from him.

Finally, our newest member is Phoebe. She has been with us 8 days. She is a
beautiful red and white lady who has done nothing but breed, live in a kennel
and watch life go by. She is my "give back" dog, encompasses an outlet for my
compassion. I am loving watch her blossom. The other dogs welcomed her, she also
follows me from room to room and comes hesitantly for ear scratches. She will
raise her whitened snout for kisses but won't kiss back. She uses the dog door,
puts Fregus in his place occasionally. She no longer sleeps outside in a cage
but on a soft dog bed at the foot of the bed in the bedroom with everyone else.
 We are calling her Phoebe Grace for she is showing great grace in this new
situation and she reminds me of Jan's Grace (ATB) whom I loved.

My family has threatened to have an intevention for me if I get anymore
dogs...glad I built a "Basset friendly" new house.
Snooters to everyone,
Maggie Honnold
Thelma Lou (my heart)
Huck (my soul)
Fergus (my joy and laughter)
Phoebe Grace (my compassion)
Noah (ATB) Hollyberry (ATB)(missing them forever)