[Dailydrool] Basset sizes

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Wed May 4 17:07:24 PDT 2011

-----------------

In my ten years in basset rescue, I have seen hundreds of bassets.
They have come from known puppy mills, well-meaning but ignorant
backyard breeders, and very knowledgeable and careful show breeders.
As a (very) GENERAL rule - many exceptions abound - the show-bred
bassets tend to be larger than the puppy mill/pet store/BYB bassets.
My Barney was a show prospect when I got him from his breeder, and his
healthy adult weight is right at 60 pounds.  My Millie came from a pet
store, and was used as a breding dog - her healthy adult weight is
about 45 pounds.

But I have seen adult bassets as small as 30 pounds and as large as 80
pounds (not fat, just BIG).  There are some breeders out there who
advertise they are selling "miniature" bassets - to my mind, these are
unethical breeders - puppy mills, for the most part.  What they are
doing is just breeding one small basset to another small basset,
without regard for any health or temperament issues.  They just want
smaller, because in general, smaller dogs sell better, when you're
breeding purely for profit.
--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!