[Dailydrool] Aggression and pain and rescue too

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Sun May 22 14:23:14 PDT 2011

<<He had 2 molars removed because they were cracked, broken and starting to abscess, 1 on each side of lower jaw.  The vet thinks this may have been why Tony bit my husband Monday night.  HE was trying to get Tony to take a chew bone.  He may have hurt his jaw.  One tooth had the pulp and nerve exposed. So far, he is 100% better but we will continue the "I (Daria/Jimmy) am the boss and  you are the dog" training. >>

Whenever a dog shows aggression, it is always appropriate to consider that pain may cause at least part of it. We learned that with our Abner.

I am so glad Toni found you--people who would look into his problems and work with him.

This weekend Drew and I went to a walk to support a group that researches childhood cancers. Since there were dogs who were taking part, I started discussing dogs with a couple of fellows who own them and immediately got myself in hot water. They were saying they only want puppies, because you don't have to fix the mistakes made on them by someone else. I told them that the best dog I've had was a rescue with issues--our Belvedere. I just don't understand why people will take on a chewing, pooping and peeing puppy but are not willing to take on a mellower adult or older puppy who really needs and will always appreciate a home. Tiny puppies, in my opinion, are still more trouble than an adult (though I have suitably adored the rescued puppies who have been here overnight on their way to somewhere else). But I just don't do puppies anymore, since Jane was such a handful when she was little (she ate the corner of the butler's table my carpenter-brother made
 for my parents; she ate innumerable TV remotes; she ate my cookbooks and so many other things I cannot remember. And those are just the things she ATE). I guess it's good that there are people like me and so many other rescuers, who prefer older dogs. And it's good that someone out there wants to give a home to the little guys, since we don't do it.

>From this I learned that the people who make up rescue are really something special. We don't mind taking in the ones who need us and aren't eight weeks old or even younger. We work through acquired issues, instead of throwing away a dog who has them. I'm glad, Daria and Jimmy, that you are among us.

I'm crazy, I guess, to much of the world, but I can't imagine doing anything else. Rescue has been wonderful.

That's not to say the good breeders out there aren't doing a great job too, but I guess they'll have to provide pups to the folks who are more taken with babies than I am. I only wish everyone got their hounds from the good breeders, not the puppy mills.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets