[Dailydrool] Hedgeapple Uses-Question

Susan Davenport suzique2u at aol.com
Sat Nov 5 14:11:52 PDT 2011

Happy Saturday and drool as well as prayers to all in need.

I have a question regarding the uses for hedgeapples. My sister has a tree that produces huge hedgeapples-up to grapefruit size. A lady stopped her the other day and asked if she could buy some from her. My sister has always considered them a nuisance and threw them into her woods so she asked the lady what she used them for and she said she keeps them in her house and she's never had a tick, flea, spider, or any other bug, including those beetle things that look like ladybugs. The hedgeapples are just placed on a dish or in a bowl and put on the floor in different rooms of her house. I looked online and did see a website that talks about this use, but here in Ohio by the time the hedgeapples fall the fleas and ticks (and other bugs) here are on their way out. These apples only last three months I guess so I don't think they'd be that valuable here, although maybe the lady has a way of saving them? But, in warmer year-round climates, they may be useful. Tanner, Sally and I are looking for a way to raise money for rescue and thought maybe we could sell them and ship them to people needing them. Just an idea we need to research. So, any knowledge you may have, feel free to email me privately.