[Dailydrool] Shelter challenge: understanding the rules

Val Brewer vlbzwick at yahoo.com
Tue Nov 8 11:12:04 PST 2011

I think we are still doing great on the Petfinder Shelter Challenge, voting for BaRCSE. (This is a different contest than the Pepsi Challenge). The Humane Society in South Carolina has passed us in the number of votes, though the contest is still super-close. But here is my thought. If I understand the rules correctly (and I'm not sure that I do, but I might), a winner of the "weekly" challenge is then not eligible to win the "state" prize. The Humane Society is in fifth place nationwide, so I think that means they will win this week's weekly challenge (I can't find the weekly challenge results), which leaves the state prize open for BaRCSE. If BaRCSE wins next week's weekly challenge, then the state prize will go to the third ranked rescue in SC. But, either way, if we just keep voting, I am pretty sure we can secure $1000 for BaRCSE (either as a weekly winner or as a state winner). Am I understanding the rules correctly? I am so proud of us Droolers
 and our basset power. If we DO win $1000 for BaRCSE in the next two weeks, then we will have some other decisions to make. For instance, do we stand a chance at the Grand Prize for them? (I suspect not). If not, and IF we win $1000 as a weekly winner, disqualifying BaRCSE for the state prize, is there any other basset rescue in any other state that stands a chance for a prize if we switched voting targets and blitzed the contest for the next month that it is going on? And let's not forget the heartwarming story. If any basset rescues are selected in the final ten by the judges, we'll have three weeks (December) to vote them into the top three in that category for a $2000 prize. I find it a lot of fun to think that as a group of basset friends, we can make a difference in this voting. Sometimes I wonder how much difference my voting at our local election polls actually makes.