[Dailydrool] Retractible leashes

Dawn Gardner dawn at happyhoundpetservices.com
Tue Nov 8 20:57:46 PST 2011

Just had to chime in that dog trainers also hate these things!   I don't
allow them in my classes because (a) no control over dog and (b) they help
teach your dog to pull - I pull, the leash gets longer, pulling is good.

I require my students who use them to go out and buy six foot nylon leads.
Most trainers I know tell their clients to get rid of them.  I tell them if
you need to stand in your doorway in your bathrobe and let your small dog go
potty in the yard they are okay, but NOT FOR WALKING, and not for public
places!

Dawn Gardner

Behavioral Consultant & Trainer

Happy Hound Pet Services