[Dailydrool] Chocolate and peroxide

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 14 12:59:10 PST 2011

A number of years ago, Jane ate some of my blood pressure medications. As you might imagine, I went nuts.

I had heard about the ASPCA's Animal Poison Control Center and had their phone number, so I called them. It's like having a phone consultation with a vet. You pay a certain fee up front, then they give advice.

I was told that as long as I gave her the peroxide within an hour, I should be OK. Since you got to Snoopy right away, I would imagine, based on the advice I got, that he will be OK. But it may also depend on how much he got. As has been said before on the Drool, the dark chocolate is much worse for them than milk chocolate, because it has more theobromine, the dog-toxic substance in chocolate.

In case you ever get in such a situation again, the phone number for the poison center is 888-426-4435.

And by the way, Jane suffered no ill effects from her chew-fest on my medicine bottle. I hope that's Snoopy's experience too.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets