[Dailydrool] Chocolate

Hilary Stevens hilaryjane at msn.com
Mon Nov 14 13:04:40 PST 2011

We had a chocolate 'incident' the other day too although ours ended up with a police escort to the vets.

I was my fault.  Of course.   I left my handbag on the floor in the hall - momentarily mind you - only to return to find both hounds sniffing out the brownie and flapjack slices I bought home from a conference.

Alfie snatched them and was definitely in no mood to trade.  What would top cellophane wrapped cake slices? Certainly not cheese. Or anything else I could lay my hands on even when dispensing to Millie with lots of affection right in front of his nose (he usually hates Millie getting anything he isn't).

Anyway, he's a big boy and I'm a big wuss.  I SHOULD feel confident prizing those choppers open but I'm not.  I actually quite like my fingers, and my hand, and my arm. So, he ate the cakes - including very rich dark chocolate brownie (of unknown chocolate content) and the cellophane.

I phoned the vet and they advised to bring him in to make him vomit - only there was a fire in the same street - so could we go the through the back lanes and ask the police manning the road block to walk us the last few hundred meters (pretty much behind the nice firemen - every cloud has a lining and all that!).

So several heaves and £70 later, we have the same escort back.

The most expensive free chocolate brownie I've never had.

The vet used Apomorphine [says 50mg 5ml AMP 5S (1) RHW on the bill].  Is there a safe way to make a hound sick at home? Or is it always best to go to the vet? Just got me wondering if there are some essential medicines I ought to keep in the cupboard for emergencies.

Just another day in paradise!

Hilary, Alfie and Millie