[Dailydrool] yet another hydrogen peroxide story

Lisa Turnquist turnq007 at umn.edu
Tue Nov 15 11:16:48 PST 2011

How many of us don't have one of these stories?  Our PIT Ella Marie is the
usual culprit.  One of her best was on Christmas Eve a few years ago when we
had the in-laws over for dinner. Dinner was served but there was no Ella to
be seen.  A full meal on the table, grandma there and no Ella.  This did not
add up.  I went hunting and found her in the TV room where family had been
gathered earlier, munching on a big jug of trail mix, with chocolate chips
and raisins. The container had been opened and emptied- by Ella who was
scouring the carpet for any missed tidbits.  I knew the chips were milk
chocolate so not a concern given Ella's size, but the raisins?  Called the
ER vet and they said they really don't know at what minimal volume raisins
cause damage but definitely induce vomiting.  I ran to the cupboard, grabbed
the bottle, opened it and realize- it's empty!  Must not have been closed
tightly and evaporated.  In a last ditch effort before leaving the in-laws
at the table and heading to the ER vet I look up and down the street.  One
neighbor is home.  His family had left town but he stayed home.  He said he
didn't think they had any but he double checked and came out with a small
bottle of the precious fluid.  So off Ella and I went to the bathroom where
I could monitor her and make sure everything came up, hydrogen peroxide and
turkey baster (for getting the stuff down her throat) in hand.  Meanwhile
the husband and in-laws continued with Christmas Eve dinner.

Never a dull moment,

Lisa and the MN Woofers,

Ella Marie, Hank, Copper and Sid, ATB