[Dailydrool] On the growth and development of bassets

Menzie Campbell menziecampbell at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 20:23:56 PST 2011

------------------------

Sylvie wrote a nice long thoughtful post about how and when bassets
will grow and develop.  Many of those milestones I've witnessed myself
- I stillo remember ntoicing one day, after a year after we rescued
Hector (who was about 18 months when we got him), suddenly noticing
that his chest and ribs had broadened noticeably, and his chest had
dropped, making him suddenly seem much lower to the ground than
heretofore.

But it was her passing mention of the continuing development of lips
and flews that caught my attention this time.  As it happens, I have
two littermate girls who are about 15 months old (born Aug. 2010;
Pippa the long-hair and Bonnie her sassy sister).  And I just noticed
on Sunday that Bonnie was drooling as I was handing out treats, and
then again when I was preparing dinner.  Well, both girls have been
quite dry-mouthed up until this time.  So I go immediately into
"somethings' wrong" mode, and start poking at her teeth and mouth and
gums, looking for wounds or abscesses or something stuck - even trying
to look down her throat in case she had something lodged down there.
But all seemed fine.  However, I noticed that I could stick my fingers
inside her lower lips a LONG way down.  So it suddenly dawned on me:
her "droolers" have "come in"!  I.E. her lower lips have grown, and
gained those lovely deep pockets where saliva can collect, to be
dispensed liberally and at will.  It made me a bit sad; my little
puppy girls are growing up.

--
Menzie Campbell
Save a Life - Don't Shop, ADOPT!