[Dailydrool] putting weight on a dog

Cheryl Stafford cstaffordmail at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 04:40:05 PST 2011

I need some advice on putting weight on a dog.  We've just adopted
another Bloodhound, Jefro, from a rescue.  Not a Basset I know but it's
amazing how both our Bassets, Otter and Radar, have taken to this boy
and to say Mollie our other Bloodhound is over the moon with a longer
legger to run with is an understatement.
Anyhow he needs to put on 10-15lb, according to our vet, to be at a good
weight now and he'll be between 90 and 100 when he's full grown.  He is
10 months old and 66lbs, no muscle just bones and skin.  I cook for the
dogs plus add a freeze dried mix.  He eats 1c freeze dried + 3/4 meat 3
times a day and 2 c. veggies/day.  He get a Milk Bone and some homemade
treats too.  I don't want him to gain weight fast because he's still a
puppy and I am concerned about his development. But, I want to see if
there is anything else I can give him to help with gaining the weight.
I know Satin Balls are a miracle weight gain thing and I checked the
Drool site but couldn't find the recipe.  Anybody recommend these for
him, and/or have the recipe?
Any information/help you guys can gives us to help Jefro would be much
appreciated.  He is a great boy that loves everyone and the fact that
Radar "the spoiled one" has accepted him is a great testimony!!
Thanks,
Cheryl
Otter, Radar, Mollie and Jefro