[Dailydrool] How we end up with Bassets?

Swartz foxybear at cox.net
Fri Nov 18 13:42:58 PST 2011

So how did I end up being a basset slave? Many, many,,, many moons ago when I was a wee lass my 1st dog was a mutt, (shepherd/collie mix we think) Anyway he ended up getting in with a pack of dogs. Back in my very young youth most dogs where I grew up where "free range" ran loose in the small town. Blackie (who was a brown dog) ended up joining a pack and was shot by a farmer.  So a few weeks later my Aunties found a basset hound with no collor roaming around the river where them & thier husbands fished, they picked her up and brought her to me. I named her Droopy and I loved that dog with all my heart.  I loved Blackie too but he was gone, ran off on me, dumped me for a bunch of whooligans at least thats what I thought when I was young. Droopy would walk with me to the school bus stop to see me off to school, make her rounds around the neighborhood to visit the neighbors and their scrap piles (food tossed into the gardens).  She was always at the bus stop or on the porch waiting on me when I came home from school.  Droopy was a great dog, lived to be, what we believe was between 16 -18 years old until cancer took her from me.  Droopy was numero uno basset and the start of a slave life for not only me but my parents as well once I moved out they kept a basset or at one time a Bagel (basset/beagle).   For me there have been lots of bassets leaving footprints across my heart and wonderful memories on my soul. I cannot see my life without a basset in it. Wow now that is a nightmare that I never want to dream let alone have as a reality!  For the short periods of time that I have had to spend without a basset, have been truely horrible: AF bootcamp, assignment to Guam and a 3 week period between the bridge journey of Wolfgang and waiting for the Bad A** Basset Brothers to reach 8 weeks of age to be able to bring them home.

My heart goes out to the parents of Shadow.  May she live forever in the magic of your memories and be the guiding light to shine on your next beloved hound that will place pawprints onto your hearts.

Love and Drool to all.
Michele Momma to the Bad A** Basset Brothers who are the shining lights in my life right now.
Colt "does that mean we glimmer like that vampire on Twilight?"
Ruger "no you moron...it means we glow with a heavenly light...like angels"
Momma "sometimes their light has a red tinge to it...when they are mischeivous puppers"

Women are Angels...And when someone breaks their wings..They simply continue to fly....on a broomstick...They are flexible like that...