[Dailydrool] Frank's Intermittent Problem

Nancy Kay nancykay9 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 20 16:18:50 PST 2011

We need some Drooler experience and expertise for Frank the Tank.

For a few months now, Frank will occasionally do this: salivate (I
mean running water, not just drool), pace, generally look
uncomfortable. We have poked and prodded every part of his big ol'
body, nothing evokes any pain or discomfort response, his tummy is not
distended or tender. His poops are normal, and his appetite is usual
(gobble gobble).

He will pace and lick his lips and drool on the floor, usually for 2-3
hours. And then he'll be fine. This often happens at our bedtime,
around 9:00 - 10:00 pm, and by midnight he's fine and will finally
fall asleep. (We, however, end up sleep-deprived. . . .) When he
paces, he usually seeks out Bill, as though he wants Bill to DO
something.

This also happens during the day sometimes. On Friday, he slobbered
and paced from about noon until mid-afternoon, and then he was fine.
It's sort of like when a dog confronts a frog or a toad, and then has
that awful taste in its mouth...except this is November and we haven't
seen a reptilian creature in a couple of months.

Frank eats Purina ProPlan, and has for most of his life. We've tried
other foods a couple of times, but the "high-quality" stuff is too
rich for his system, and he gets the runs. He eats his two daily meals
like there will be no food tomorrow, and we've wondered if he's
gulping air or something. Bill thinks that a couple of times during
Franks's distressful episodes, that he has burped and later calmed
down. We don't know if that was coincidence or relief. Just in case it
was relief, Bill shared a couple of tablespoons of his beer (Sam Adams
Winter Lager) with Frank tonight, in hopes that it would help him
burp. I guess if he's fine tonight, he'll get a beer every night with
Dad !!

We're trying to eliminate things, so he no longer gets baby carrots as
treats, or his beloved bully stick to chew on after dinner. All that
being said, we're not even sure it's a digestive issue.

Have any of your houndies had a similar experience? Have you figured
out what the problem was ?? It's so non-specific, we don't think a vet
visit would help at this point.

Any ideas, anybody ??

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina-Weena