[Dailydrool] How basset hounds got us

Mary Wilson mary.gabriola at gmail.com
Tue Nov 22 14:47:22 PST 2011

Way back in the misty dawns of time (before Paddi was born -- around 2002)
we had two dogs that were my parents family dogs originally -- a golden
retriever named Rocky, and a terri-airhead (terrier/aerdale cross) named
Princess. They passed on -- Rocky more or less in fulness of time, and
Princess of liver failure. My partner and I hadn't had dogs before, but my
brother, mom and nephew (all of whom were living with us) had -- so the cry
went up for a dog.

And we had cats. Four cats. It had to be a cat good with dogs.

We spent lots of time looking through breed books, and found nothing all
that encouraging/inspiring. Then one day at work, someone sent around a
note that they were looking for a home for a two year old basset girl.
Breed book was consulted. "If your basset must be alone during the day," it
said, "Get them a cat so they won't be so lonely." Sounded good to us! So
we decided this was the dog -- and the person giving her away decided to
keep her.

By then we were hooked. Miss Paddi B Basset, whose official name is
Sunset's Descansco Princess (in honour of her predecessor) came to us from
a registered breeder.

Paddi informed us that while cats were okay, they were not bassets. Billy
appeared on Petfinder soon after. When we first met him he was in jail for
a crime he didn't commit, or so he told us -- ie he was at the SPCA
shelter. He and Paddi adored each other on sight. We were all devastated
when he died at just about four -- some older-time droolers will remember
that I expect.

Paddi said at that time that she was happy to be an only dog, and we were
happy to let her be so... until I realized how ... um... un-energetic she
was becoming. For instance, the watch dog duties... she was still happy
enough to bark to let me know someone was in the driveway, but she
outsourced the actual getting up and going to the window to see who it was
to me! Back to Petfinder. Vernon Q Basset arrived from the local SPCA soon
after. He was eight when he arrived, or so they say. He and Paddi B are
colleagues rather than friends, I'd say, but they bump along well enough
together. And she gets off the couch now, or at least sends Vern instead of
me.

The odd thing is that I don't normally look at Petfinder. Both times I
started browsing a boy basset appeared immediately. So sure, technically,
we got them. But really, I think they got us.

And given that we now have four people, two hounds and two cats for a
couch, loveseat and armchair, I am not looking at Petfinder again. Ever.
Really.

Happy thanksgiving to all American four and two leggers (and three-leggers
too, if any -- we have one of them!)

Mary
& Paddi B Basset
& Vernon Q Basset