[Dailydrool] Bev and the Bugler

Susan Hurt toodlessm at me.com
Fri Nov 25 09:14:59 PST 2011

In the recent Bugler edition that came out, a daily drool exchange was printed in which I asked a question and Bev (I assume a daily drool contributor) responded.  I was a bit disturbed that what I wrote was misunderstood by Bev.  I had written:

 Question: Why do vets recommend substandard foods
(according to a well known dog food rating system) even when
they have superior products available for sale in their own clinics?
My guess has been that vets are used to clients primarily
interested in saving money and convenience. Any other
thoughts? I am a bit frustrated/resentful, because I would have
had my bassets on higher quality food had I known better.”

Bev responded, "No  they are not primarily interested in making money."  She later concluded:

"to answer your question NO, your vet is not just
making money for himself. He is promoting what has been promoted
to him, that's all. Give the guy a break, for heaven's sake.
They don't go into Veterinary Medicine because they want to be
rich.”

I want to make it clear that I was NOT accusing vets of wanting to make money.  How they would make money by promoting a particular dog food bought at a grocery store or pet store is a mystery to me any way.  I was suggesting that they were perhaps trying to save their CLIENTS money by not pushing the more expensive (although perhaps more nutritious) dog foods.

My own experience with vets is that they are very careful in trying to treat pets as economically as possible while providing the best care they can.  Often I have to encourage my vet to perform optional tests/procedures as I like to make sure everything possible is done for my dogs.

I am not writing this clarification as a criticism of Bev.  I regret that I did not express myself clearly in the original post, especially now that it has been printed in The Bugler!  What a mess.

Susan Hurt
toodlessm at me.com