[Dailydrool] Update on Poppy and Gallagher

Julie Canny julie.a.canny at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 17:56:10 PST 2011

It took a bit longer, but the second rescue chemo brought Poppy back into
remission.  This time it even got her eye back to normal size.  She looked
like a cartoon character for a bit.  So Monday she had her first session of
regular chemo.  We failed to warn the vet tech that she's a chow hound and
scarfs down snacks with a snapping jaw.  They put the meds in a pill pocket
- her favorite treat.  Thankfully, no fingers were sacrificed.  No negative
reaction at all.  She's bouncing around the house and keeps up with the
young ones during walks.  So, we're 3 months past lymphoma diagnosis and so
far so good.  A year would be a miracle.
Gallagher had his follow-up blood work.  It still shows inflammation of the
pancreas, but all other levels are back to normal.  So we're doing fish oil
and melatonin at night.  The hardest part is finding a way to give him food
that is less than 13% fat, while giving the "musical bowls" puppy the all
stages food he needs.  Any recommendations for a low fat food - especially
if it's safe for a 14 week old buppy?  Or a trick to keep buppy out of his
food bowl?