[Dailydrool] (no subject)

Pamela McQuade bassetizedslave at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 4 19:10:46 PDT 2011

Poor Bosley. He's being aggressive, I am fairly sure, because of the pain in his ears.

Our Alexis came to us with a pseudomonas infection that had plagued her, no doubt, for many years. She was an incredibly sweet hound, until it came to her ears. As time went on, her ears seemed to hurt worse, despite the many treatments we tried. Eventually, she would not let me put anything in one ear (I think it was the right one).

At that point, the vet insisted that she have a total ear canal ablation in that ear. He told me she was having pain that he compared to a migraine, from the ear problem. Tri-State, for whom we fostered her, had the surgery done, and the pain ended. She barely had hearing in that ear, but it was better than having constant pain.

Afterwards, we constantly used the Blue Power Ear Treatment on her remaining ear. It didn't completely stop the infection, but it kept it under control. She never lost that ear canal to a TECA. But pay heed to the warnings that come with the BPET directions. It is not for all situations. Had we used it in the really painful ear, I think we could have caused her even more pain.

http://itsfortheanimals.com/Adobe/Blue%20Power%20Ear%20Treatment.pdf

I do not think a vet should have a cavalier attitude towards pseudomonas. It is best treated aggressively, not simply written off as a lifelong thing. If treated well early on, it may be stopped.  But you have to treat regularly and consistently.

Our current foster Holly struggles with the same thing. I have repeatedly had her at the vet's. I'm wondering the best course to follow now too.
Pam, food slave to the Dashing Bassets