[Dailydrool] Kennel Cough

Chris Bly jbly1 at kc.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 05:59:34 PST 2011

I have brought new rescues from the pound that have had Kennel Cough we keep
them seperated from the other dogs, they are usually vaccinated with
Bordatella when released from the pound but it takes ten days beffore the
dog is not contagious any more if they have the disease before vaccination.
They can get the disease from each other by drinking water or eating out of
the same bowls. It is an upper respiratory infection like bronchitis or
pneumonia.
Even though all of my rescues get yearly Bordatella and 6 month boosters I
still keep a dog with the disease seperated for ten days just for safety.
Vaccinate at least yearly the Bordatella vaccine only costs about $6.00 and
it is like a flu shot for your dog it keeps upper respiratory infections
from turning into pneumonia. They a still get a cold or two but it will not
be as severe.