[Dailydrool] Slowing Down

rosekh at aol.com rosekh at aol.com
Tue Oct 4 18:38:42 PDT 2011

This summer Annie turned 7 and Fred turned 8.  I've read that 8 is when dogs start to be considered "seniors."  When I took them in for their rabies vaccines/physicals, I asked the vet if I should be doing anything different for Fred.  She said not really, just keep his weight down (it's perfect :), look for signs of arthritis, etc.  He is still a pretty active dog...at the Mid-ABHR picnic this past weekend, he was playing with an 8 month old puppy, and you couldn't tell who was 8 mos and who was 8 years!  I have noticed though, that on our morning walks (at around 10 am) he tends to lag behind, while Annie tries to hurry on ahead.  He has always liked to stop and roll in something, or just lie down for a bit, but he used to walk ahead, or at least next to, Annie.  Now he's often behind me.  On our evening walks he has a lot more energy.  That's really the only difference I've noticed...he still likes to sleep in in the mornings, whereas Annie is my early riser.  If they are napping and I say it's time to go out, because I have to leave for work or go up to bed, Annie jumps right up, while Fred ignores me and makes me put his leash on and gently pull him off the couch!  But he's always been that way.  However, the lagging behind on walks was pretty sudden and dramatic, right around the time of his birthday (or is that just when I noticed it, because I was somewhat traumatized at the thought of him being a "senior"???)

Anyway, I too think that 8 is young, and I pray that he'll be with me for another 88 years!  Right now my "old man", as I now refer to him, is snoring beside me.  If he wants to take leisurely walks and longer naps, it's fine by me...now if he could just convince his baby sister!

Rose, Annie and Fred