[Dailydrool] Flash

Veronica Woodruff bassetgrrl at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 15 03:14:38 PDT 2011

Well, Paul and I were talking about Flash--Flash with his uncontrollable peeing, crappy temperament and undiagnosable disorder--and have decided that we simply cannot have him euthanized.  When I look into his eyes, when we cuddle him close, well, we just can't do it.  Is there something going on in Flash's brain?  Without a doubt.  But he still loves his three squares a day, and the cookies and the cheese and the apples; he still loves his walks and his sister and us.  And for Flashy, that's quality of life.

Am I grateful for ceramic floors, a washer and dryer and a Shark for mopping up?  You bet!  Do I wish that Flash didn't lick up his own pee?  Ditto!  But either I'll get ear plugs or I'll grit my teeth or I'll learn to tune it out.  Or maybe diapers *will* work (where there's life, there's hope).

When Flash goes down and can't get back up (because of the calcified disc), when Flash's whatever-it-is in his brain has grown too invasive and changes him, severely, for the worse, *that's* when he will be euthanized.  In the meantime, we've got him, and we love him.

It's a decision that Paul and I feel really good about and I know that if anyone understands that, it's you, my fellow Droolers.

Thanks for being there for us.

Veronica Woodruff

(Stillwater Lake, Nova Scotia)

"Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."  Will Durant