[Dailydrool] My little drooly comfort pillow

Alla Babushkina Virdee death2myalarm at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 17:14:35 PDT 2011

Hi everyone,
First of all, I just wanted to send drool to everyone who needs it. I
haven't been in this community long, so I don't know a lot of you, but some
of the stories I read here recently broke my heart. My husband often finds
me crying when I read the digest, and he doesn't understand when I tell him
that it's because Nigel is going to be all better or Harry has gone to the
Bridge. Thank you all for sharing your stories.
I'm writing because Dascha is doing something wonderful that I wanted to
share with a community of Basset lovers. I've been sick recently (nothing
major, but have dealt with some annoying  abdominal pain and a visit to the
doctor). Dascha started acting in a way that I considered rude: instead of
lying beside me on the bed when we go to sleep, she has started climbing on
top of me, keeping me awake and earning herself a strong reprimand.
Yesterday, she even woke me up by climbing on top of me, and that's when I
realized that she was trying to climb over my side and put her head on my
abdomen. I don't know how, but she knew I was in pain, and she was trying to
comfort me! Needless to say, today has been filled with treats to make up
for all those times I misinterpreted her concern.
Also, I never understood why Bassetts were considered drooly until this past
week. It's been raining in Toronto, and since Dascha refuses to go anywhere
in the rain, she had to wait a couple of days to go on a really long walk.
When we came home, her whole little face was covered in gobs of drool she'd
been flinging on the walk! I guess when she gets excited, she can drool with
the best of 'em :)
Alla, caretaker of (and, let's face it, slave to) Dascha the Basset