[Dailydrool] A dog food story

Nancy nancykay9 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 17:01:47 PDT 2011

About a month ago, Tina became less interested in eating. Mind you, the
ruler we use to measure is Frank the Tank, who will eat anything that's
not nailed down. On a normal day, he scarfs, and she picks. So, in an
attempt to please Tina's palate, we started giving her a different
kibble: Iam's Healthy Naturals Chicken. And since Frank will eat
Anything, we switched him over also. I'd read that chicken is better and
more appetizing for many dogs.

Just so you know, we have tried them all, from the basics to the exotic.
We even tried a local human-grade certified organic food -- way too
rich, and upset both dogs' tummies. The best for Frank is, and always
has been, Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice. Tina has always been less
enthusiastic about her dinner bowl; she didn't eat anything at all for
the first 2 days we had her, and during a recent kennel stay, they fed
her canned food because she didn't want what we had provided.

Fast forward a couple of weeks: Frank -- sometimes -- is pacing,
drooling, lies down, gets up, clings to Bill, licks his lips, all signs
that he is uncomfortable. Since it was "sometimes", we had difficulty in
relating it to anything specific. I kept feeling his tummy for signs of
bloat, and we gave him Tums, Gas-X, Mylanta, all with pretty much
minimal effect. But, when he would burp he did feel better, so we knew
it was something gastric.

And Tina is still picky. Sometimes she eats the Iam's, other times she
doesn't.

So, yesterday we switched them both back to Purina Pro Plan Lamb and
Rice. Frank has been fine for 3 meals now, and Tina ate her same 3 mixed
Iam's + Pro Plan meals just fine.

We're sticking with the Pro Plan.

Nancy, owned by Frank the Tank and Tina the Bra-stealer