[Dailydrool] Dozer's surgery

Carol Shreiner cdshreiner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 17:19:03 PDT 2011

Dozer had surgery yesterday. He went lame on Wednesday, so he was taken to
the local ER vet where they said he slipped the disc but couldn't confirm
with an MRI because they don't have one. They suggested crate rest and meds
for the night because there wasn't anything they could do. I left feeling
helpless. The next day he went to his regular vet who referred us to a
surgeon. So we went to the surgeon (BIG BIG hospital) who set him up for an
MRI and did surgery. They said it was critical because he still had feeling
in the back where he was lame, and since he was only lame on one side,
surgery was our best option. He came out of surgery around 8:30 pm last
night. I got him today at 4. He walked--sort of walked-- moved the lame leg
in walking-type motion--to meet me. I'm having a ramp built tomorrow off the
front steps since he can't do steps. The surgeon removed the herniation at
L2-L3 and did some preventative "fenestration" on T10-L5. He has a huge scar
down his back but will almost certainly be able to walk again. The surgeon
suggested this probably started earlier this month when he lost his ability
to jump up.
He is currently on tramadol and prednisone and resting in his crate.
Freckles and Lilly are so happy to have him home, as am I. It was so weird
without him being here.
I am so very grateful to the droolers who have offered support and advice.
Drool rules!
Carol

--
www.ohiobassetrescue.org