[Dailydrool] Dogs that cant be fixed

Megan Knapik mcknap at comcast.net
Sun Oct 30 12:00:15 PDT 2011

The post from Debbie brought me so far back in time, almost 20 years - I too
had a basset I rescued that had rage issues. I was so new to the whole dog
owning thing - my first dog a pit mix I named Zoey had been with me a year
or so when I decided she needed a friend. I worked in a building where a
young guy had a concession stand and he posted that he was giving away a
female basset.
So I made arrangements for a dog smart friend to come over and greet Brandy
with me.... Well we almost killed the guy
She was 3 - very small, urine stained, no vetting and had been in a cage
most of her life. That and the reason he was getting rid of her was his wolf
hybrid did not like her.
We cleaned her up and set about to try an make her a happy dog, called her
Daisy. But was not to be - she too would just glaze over and go berserk. I
tried drugs and training and even doggie therapy - and like Debbie - nothing
worked for very long.
The funny thing was - she would attack the pit and Zoe would just try and
get away - almost like she knew Daisy wasn't right.
Finally after a year and several times of biting me, the last one very
badly, I re homed her as an only dog with a lady that had lost her hounds in
a divorce.... I did not know any better about rage and such, I just knew she
needed a better place
I know they were happy for at least a year cause the woman would send me
cards but then she kind of fell off the face of the earth
If I knew then as much as I know now, I would have sent her to the bridge...
I always wonder if she did indeed have an okay life after us
I remember reading about Fergus and the puppies when Menzie posted about
them and thinking what beauties they all were
You did the right thing Margaret to set him free.....