[Dailydrool] Milo's trials

BRYAN MARTINEZ brymart at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 30 12:23:47 PDT 2011

My Milo, an approximately now 10 year old rescue who came to live with
me 2 years ago was diagnosed with lymphoma last Oct 11 and given one
year to live, with treatment...
that was extra sad , since I lost Tulip, a 9 year old rescue just
before Milo came to live with me to the same dreaded , merciless
disease.
I opted to give Milo a modified version of the classic chemo treatment
at a much reduced price from cancer clinics. The steep price
reduction, although still hefty, was due to the fact it was
administered by my vet, who was in consultation with a canine
oncologist.
In a year that was mostly positive, except for a few cases when my
little guy's body objected to the strong chemicals and he was sick to
his stomach for a few days, we have had a good year. Milo started out
with 5 or 6 lumps in his chest and as each treatment was tried, the
lumps would disappear only to return and then another form of
treatment was tried.The vet has told me that when the list of
different chemo injections and pills run out, then there is nothing
more to do. Two weeks ago we got our last try and the two large lumps
in his neck have grown back already and I can tell it is affecting
him. The groans when he gets up or shifts his position, the picky
eating, the lethargic manner all replaced , just a short time ago, the
trotting, food devouring, happy faced, adoring hound that has been my
companion these two years. He is due for a blood test tomorrow in
preparation for the last chemo injection next friday.
I KNOW this has been endured over and over and over by so many people,
including myself , and hounds in this exact same situation, but that
doesn't make it any easier.
Now, I am faced with a decision as to when it must all be ended. The
spring is gone from his step , the voraciousness has gone from his
eating and some pain has come in it's place. I know, soon, his eating
will stop altogether and then I know we will be close.
I just wanted to share my pain and our story because you wonderful
people alone would understand what I am going through.