[Dailydrool] A member of our pack ATB

Brenda Waldrop dedanann1 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 30 17:12:40 PDT 2011

I know she wasn't a basset, but our 1 1/2 year old cat Rue was a member of
the pack. She played with all of our dogs and they played back, and even
though they liked to chase her when she ran, they never laid a tooth or paw
on her.

Today we had our neighbors husky/chow mix over in our backyard.  He belongs
to a house full of college kids who rent the house next to us, and they
adopted him about 2 months ago. The problem is their backyard isn't fully
fenced, so they leave him tied up with only about three feet of rope and a
small, tall, easily tipped over bowl of water, in the sun all day.

The last few days we've taken to bringing him over to our house in the
afternoons, when he's ttally run out of water and is getting antsy from
being tied up all day. He's totally mellow with all of our dogs, but today
he went after Rue. We got to her almost immediately, and had to pry Elphaba
(the basset) and Vinnie (the suluki hound) off of him because they were
trying to protect Rue.

He either punctured her lung, or more likely broke her neck. She was a very
small cat. She 2was gone before we could even get her to the car, and even
though I performed CPR (yes I do know animal CPR and no I don't care that I
have to wrap my lips around the animals nose to do it!), nothing could be
done.

The dogs are all confused and sniffing around everywhere for Rue, and my
roommate Tammy is cursing for having let the dg come over, even though we
don't blame him.  I do however blame the neighbor kids for not taking
better care of their dog.  I know they're trying, but they just don't have
a clue about how to take care of them. I'm going to be having a long talk
with them when they get home tonight.

Run free sweet Rue!

Brenda- momslave to Elphaba and Copper(ATB)